Wednesday, August 10, 2016

First Birthday



Today is my birthday, February 24th, and while my family and friends have been their usually amazing selves by sending me birthday messages there is still a piece of my heart that is sad. Sad because this is my first birthday without my mother. I miss her but she is always with me and there have been so many times when I have felt her presence. I decided that the best way to deal with the sadness of missing her was to remember and appreciate all the positive memories she has contributed to on my birthdays.

My mom used to retell the story of the day she gave birth to me. I can still hear her voice as she smiles and laughs through the story. It was a dark and cold February night when we went to the hospital. My grandmother Anna and grandfather Willie were arguing over him driving too fast and being careful of the ice. My mother was scared to death. Not of the car ride but of the birth process. The day was finally here, I was coming out! She was young, 20 years old, and scared.

When my mother called me on my birthday, she usually didn’t say “Happy Birthday” to me. She would just sing.  She would sing “So Much In Love” by The Tymes.

“As we stroll along together                     

Holding hands, walking all alone

So in love are we two

That we don't know what to do

So in love (doo, so in love)

In a world of our own (doo, so in love)”

She would also sing her own song that she made. 

“He’s my sweetie, my sweet deety. He’s my sweetie sugar pie.

He’s my sweetie, my sweet deety. Love him ‘til the day I die.”

So no matter where I am or what I’m doing, my birthdays will always be special. Because I had an amazing mother who made me feel so incredibly special.


No comments:

Post a Comment